
As a newly married couple, celebrating Christmas together for the first time, I realized we didn't have that many decorations. We are pretty much starting from scratch, which I have to admit has been fun. My DH didn't have any decoration but then again there are very few bachelors that would decorate their home for Christmas. I did bring up some ornaments that were given to me throughout the years. As a couple we did receive a few Christmas things and the most meaningful one is the Christmas tree skirt that my Grandma made for my DH and I for our new home. If you look in the picture you can see it. It is beautiful and something I know we will treasure for many years to come.
Since we have few Christmas decorations it has been fun coming up with different things to decorate the house with. Here a some pictures of the different things that I have done to add holiday cheer to our home. The theme I went with is "all natural!"
This decoration sits on my kitchen windowsill. All it is a mason jar filled with Douglas fir, cranberries, water, and a floating candle. I then added some more greenery around the base.
These candles are on the windowsill that is next to our kitchen table. (I really love having windowsills!!)

I added this basket of greenery to the inside of our front door.

This pretty green swag is hanging next to our front door. I would have liked to put right on our front door but I wasn't to keen on putting a nail in the door.

The little Christmas tree was put together from a big Douglas fir branch and then I put some red berries that I found on my walk on the little branches. The tree is sitting on a table on our front porch.
I also made a garland for the front porch railing. I'll have to post a picture of that later because my camera battery died so I wasn't able to take a picture of it.
6 comments:
Christmas Greetings Laura and Lars.
Your home is beginning to look a lot like Christmas. I can tell you have had fun doing it, and using things that are close at hand in your neighborhood.
We are awaiting a cold storm tonight.
Love Grandma Goudy
I LOVE the basket full O branches...and the hanging branch... and the "mini" tree!! I can smell the delightful odor of evergreen dancing about your home. It is all too cute sista! :)
I just love the "all natural" decorations, and was happy to see the floating cranberries. We can't exactly understand the bit about the desk and the roof. You'll have to explain later! :)
Love, M&K
The part about the desk...my DH and brother-in-law lifted the desk from the bed of the pickup onto the roof. From there they brought it up to the 2nd story window and lifted it through the window into the upstairs room. There is no way we could get any furniture upstairs if it weren't for the double opening window! I hope that makes a little more sense! :)
You have created in your home for free what we would spend money at Michael's to create! The blessings of living in the country! I breathed a deep sigh of pleasure reading your blog.
Love, T
I realize this is late, but...when I was decorating this year, after twenty-plus years of marriage, I was thinking back to our very sparse first Christmas and what a blessing it was, and compared it to now, and I just can't figure out how we came up with so much stuff over the years that we hardly have room for all of it! I hope your Christmas was blessed, and you have many more in the future to continue to fill your home!
Diana (from ICC)
Post a Comment