I can't tell you want a surprise it was to find our dear rooster today (and not in the stomach of the skunk like we thought.) This afternoon I was out in the barn searching for chicken eggs and I hear a cock-a-doodle-do coming from the stack of hay. It took a minute to dawn on me that, that was the rooster crowing. I quickly called for my husband and we started the hunt. At first we though he must have gotten stuck behind the barn and fence or between the wall of the barn. Couldn't find him. Then we figured that he was stuck in the hay fort that had been build but closed off to keep the chickens from laying eggs in there. We removed the bale of hay blocking the entrance but didn't see the rooster. We moved enough bales from the top of the fort to look down in but only discovered 7 eggs. My DH then crawled down in there and stuck in a back passageway was the rooster. Somehow he had managed to wedge himself in such a way that he couldn't even back up to get out. We spent the next bit of time unstacking and reorganizing the hay bales (because of course he was in the farthest, deepest corner of hay,) so my DH could get the rooster out. It took a little while to get the upset rooster out of the hay fort and back into the barn yard. When he got out he ruffled all his feathers and let out many unpleasant shrieks. I think he was wanting to make it clear that he was disgusted by the whole situation, and to be honest, I don't blame him!
Good to have you back Mr. Rooster!
Jesus loves me!
14 years ago

1 comment:
I bet that will teach him to go looking around for better living quarters!
Love,
Mom
Post a Comment